Sunday, April 6, 2008

I'm Gonna Try It!

Well, I've decided to try the whole blogging thing. I've fought any suggestions that I do a blog because I haven't wanted to think about trying to keep up with it along with every other unsuccessful effort I've made to do any kind of journaling, letter-writing, or emailing on a regular basis. I used to be good at this kind of thing, but that was several children ago and now I have to fight with my kids to even get to use the computer! "Why don't you use the computer during the day, Mom?!?" "Because I'm running around doing errands for you kids, trying to work-out when I can, doing all the Mom stuff I have to do, and trying to get a nap!" Tee, hee... I've also been afraid that I will get addicted to this fun thing and will spend too much time doing it...so no promises on some super-duper blog site from me. I'll just try and get a picture and a post up every once in awhile, okay? This could easily become a "see-Michelle-run" if I actually wrote about everything we're all doing these days so I'll spare you the boring details...or not, depending on how excited I get about writing.

It was a wonderfully relaxing General Conference weekend. I actually got to watch every session...okay, the Saturday morning session was DVR'ed and watched a little late as Emilee had a girl scout field trip to Sweet Berry Farm to do some strawberry picking and I had to drop her off at her leader's house. Then I had to drop Alex off to mow lawns. Elyse worked all Saturday at Target (she's been working as a cashier for two months now and it rocks!) I fit in a run between sessions (sorry, Jo, I'm only up to 4-5 miles...I've messed up my knees and hamstring/glute playing stupid church b-ball with the 20-somethings) then cut all 4 boys' hair during and after the afternoon session. Whew! Did I say it was a relaxing weekend??? Had to make a candy lei and run Elyse to a birthday. Ordered and picked up pizza because it was 6:30pm and too late to make anything but eggs or pancakes and we had had those the night before. Dan and Alex went to the priesthood session and I hung out with the four youngest. Austin and I played a round of Sequence, which Austin loves. And that was Saturday...but, my strongest memory of the day was absolutely feeling the spirit so strongly during the solemn assembly as we sustained Pres. Monson as the 16th president of the church and as prophet, seer, and revelator. Elder Holland referred to seeing the mantle fall upon Pres. Monson and I definitely felt it. I cried all through the sustainings. It was a very powerful thing to have each specific group stand and sustain the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. We all were right there doing it in our family room in front of the TV. Wow! It was awesome! And then Dan came home from the priesthood session and told about Pres. Monson wiggling his ears. From the serious to the hilarious--a well-rounded president...

Our Conference Sunday tradition is to have Sunday brunch of cinnamon rolls, omelettes, bacon, sausage, hash browns, juice, and hot chocolate. The nice thing is that the kids are old enough to help me cook now, which makes it much more fun. I loved all the talks, but of course, Elder Ballard was a favorite--I loved that he had suggestions for what mom, dad, kids and church leaders can do to help mom out. I told my kids that we would watch that talk again and they just rolled their eyes at me. Although I did hear a lot of thank-you's for the dinner. While it was a good day, by evening time we had all had too much of a good thing with being cooped up inside with each other all day long...we should have gone on a walk. It is good to have the house quiet now and all the kiddos in bed. I titled my blog "Michelle's Musings" because I was hoping to have some deep thoughts to share once in awhile along with all the happenings in our lives...so here is my attempt for the evening: I think what finally got me to start this blog today of all days was something someone said about how in the next life, we will enjoy the same socialities that we enjoy in this life with our family and friends. I began to wonder if I could do a little better now at really enjoying some "sociality" with family and friends in the midst of my hectic life. I don't get to see my extended family and friends nearly as often as I would like, nor do we talk or even email as often as we would like. We are all so busy in our daily lives, even overscheduled at times as Elder Ballard said. I am especially guilty of that so here is my attempt to be a little more social with those I truly love, but don't get to say it or show it that often. I blog you! aka...I love you!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Michelle- I blog you too. I'm so happy you started this blog. I love hearing tid bits of others lives, especially my family since we are so far apart. FYI--check out google reader--it updates you when others update their blogs, that way when you want to read others' blogs you can see which have been updated from the last time you read without opening them all.

Aundrea said...

Yay! I love Google Reader too! It saves lots of time, so you don't get obsessed about new updates, comments, etc. Love you!

Jay, Jo, Chaz & Zion said...

Good job! I love to hear about your hectic life! I miss having you guys around-even though it's been what 10 years? So I guess the next best thing is to read what's happening in the home of the texas oldroyd's! Tell the kiddo's I love them!

Anonymous said...

I am so convincing aren't I! I am so glad you are doing a blog! We are excited to know more about what is going on in good ol' Texas! By the way Happy Birthday - how old 28?? We love you!!